Do you know how sugarless gum helps protect your smile? According to countless studies that have been done, chewing sugarless gum for roughly 20 minutes after eating can help protect your tooth enamel. The reason is due to an upsurge in saliva production, which can wash away plaque buildup, neutralize harmful acids, and prevent cavities. Here are a few tips to think of when adding sugarless gum to your oral health care routine:
– Sugarless gum should be avoided if you feel any jaw pain or if you have a known TMJ disorder.
– Sugarless gum helps wash away chewy or sticky debris that has been left behind on your teeth and gums after meals.
– According to countless studies, sugarless gum can help fight heartburn and its associated acidic stomach acids.
– Never forget daily habits like brushing and flossing even if you are using supplemental cleaning techniques such as chewing sugarless gum or using mouthwash.
– Sugarless gum or even mouthwash should be considered after meals instead of brushing your teeth because your teeth are sensitive at this time and can be damaged by abrasive forms of toothpaste.
Depending on your age, oral health, and jawbone strength, our dentist at Aesthetic Dentistry Associates can help you find which oral health care treatment will work best for you. Dr. David Umansky and our team would love to see you at our dental office in Humble, Texas. To schedule an appointment, please call us at 281-446-4700. We will be glad to help you achieve the results you are looking for.