Dental fillings are a common dental treatment used to repair teeth that have been damaged from cavities and decay. At Aesthetic Dentistry Associates, we are here to help you keep your smile free of cavities; however, if you do develop a cavity, we can provide you with the care you need to get your oral health back on track.
What Is a Dental Filling?
A dental filling is a type of dental restoration that can restore a tooth’s strength, shape, and function after it has been damaged. Dental damage can occur from a variety of things, such as decay or dental trauma.
If you have developed decay, there are several different types of fillings that you can choose from:
- Metal (amalgam)
Depending on your needs and preferences and where your dental damage is located, Drs. Umansky, Nikmard and Goldsmith can help you know which type of dental filling is right for you.
Getting a Dental Filling
When you visit Aesthetic Dentistry Associates for a dental filling, our dentsits will perform the following steps:
- Remove any damage or decay for the outer layers of your tooth
- Clean the tooth and fill the treated area with the filling material
- Cure the filling so that it adheres to the tooth and hardens
- Polish your tooth
Why Your Should Replace Your Amalgam (Silver) Fillings
Silver (amalgam) dental fillings have been used for many years to repair minor tooth damage. While they have proven to be effective in providing quality treatments, recent years have come out with several reasons as to why you should reconsider getting a silver filling, or consider replacing your old silver filling. Amalgam fillings:
- Are 50% mercury, which has proven to be harmful to your health
- Expand and contract with time, weakening your tooth and increasing your chances of developing a cracked tooth or other damage
- Create an unsightly appearance in your smile
If you are interested in replacing your silver fillings, Drs. Umansky, Nikmard and Goldsmith may recommend that you receive a tooth-colored filling. This type of filling has many benefits, including:
- A natural, tooth-like appearance
- Made of 100% safe material
- Strengthens remaining tooth structure
- Creates a proper seal to keep our decay and damage for years
If you have a cavity, or if you have a silver filling that you would like to replace, we encourage you to contact our practice at 281-446-4700 and set up an appointment with our dental team.